AZ 89 and 89A

Got a favorite road, route or destination? Post it here.

AZ 89 and 89A

New postby Howard » Wed May 26, 2010 3:00 am

This week, my wife and I went to Sedona to spend a couple of days relaxing. As you may know, i enjoy exploring and I love taking roads I've never been on before. The shortest way to Sedona is I-10 to I-17, then over. The route I chose is about 100 miles further, but it is amazing. Like the ride down 191, I was also in a 4-wheeled vehicle, but I am so looking forward to doing this on 2 wheels! Here it is:

Get to Phoenix any way you choose. We then made our way to US 60/93. Just north of Wickenburg, turn north onto AZ89. The first bit of fun starts shortly after the town of Congress. Steep mountain grade on 2 lane divided highway. The scenery is to good but there are some nice switchbacks.

Then there is a long, flat plateau with pretty grasslands and lots of cows and horses. Then some major fun. Between Wilhoit and Sedona is some of the best biking road I've ever seen. Tight switchbacks, multitudinous numbers of curves. There is even a sweet camber to each curve, making them even sweeter to ride. There were LOTS of motorcycles on the road.

At Prescott, google maps will tell you that the best way to Sedona is via 169 and over to I-17. If you want some additional thrills, stick to 89A and go through Jerome. You have to climb some steep, narrow curving road to get there. Road quality is not as good through this section as the rest of what I've described. If you've never been to Jerome, it, alone is worth the trip. It's an old mining town, reminiscent of Bisbee. 89A goes right through town, so you get to see almost everything.

From Jerome, there are a few switchbacks then you head out into flat ground and in to Sedona. If you like old downtown areas with antique store, etc, instead of turn right to follow 89A when you get to the traffic circle, go straight through and you will hit the old towne areas of Clarkdale and Cottonwood.

We spent time in Sedona and, of course, we made a trip to Flagstaff via 89A up Oak Creek Canyon. Again, more incredible scenery with tight switchbacks and lots of curves. Someday i'll get here with a scoot.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... =UTF8&z=11

Howard
Howard

Re: AZ 89 and 89A

New postby az.slynch » Wed May 26, 2010 3:58 am

This road is featured on the Something for Nothing rally. They camp up on Mingus Mountain. All the ore reason to go this year!
'64 Vespa 90
'65 Allstate Compact
'71 Vespa Ciao Basic
'74 Vespa Primavera
'78 JC Penny Pinto
'77 Vespa Ciao DeLuxe
'78 Puch Maxi Sport Mk. II
'81 Vespa P200E
'83 Yamaha XC180K
'84 Yamaha CV80L
'85 Honda Spree
'86 Honda Gyro S
'87 Honda Elite 80
az.slynch

New postby Howard » Wed May 26, 2010 4:22 am

I knew they must go on some part of it, since they camp on Mingus Mtn. Do you know where the ride starts from?

Howard
Howard

New postby az.slynch » Wed May 26, 2010 3:07 pm

A lot of folks go up to Mingus Mt. and scoot up to Flagstaff. The rally ride starts in Flagstaff and returns to Mingus Mt. Not sure on exact routing; ask John for specifics. He did that rally last year. I intend to go this year.
'64 Vespa 90
'65 Allstate Compact
'71 Vespa Ciao Basic
'74 Vespa Primavera
'78 JC Penny Pinto
'77 Vespa Ciao DeLuxe
'78 Puch Maxi Sport Mk. II
'81 Vespa P200E
'83 Yamaha XC180K
'84 Yamaha CV80L
'85 Honda Spree
'86 Honda Gyro S