Books

Useful links to other scooter friendly websites, organizations, etc. Also, do you know of a book, movie or other media that is something scooterists may be interested in? Know of something by, for or about scooters, scooterists or just life on 2 wheels? Post it here!

Books

New postby Howard » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:58 pm

I See by My Outfit - A Cross Country Adventure by Peter S. Beagle
A true story of two young jewish guys, from the Bronx, who move to San Francisco in 1965. They ship their stuff and ride their scooters across the country. I enjoyed it.

The Complete Idiots Guide to Motor Scooters by Bev Brinson and Bryce Ludwig
This was written for British scooterists, but it still has a lot of good, though basic information in it. If you are new to scooters, this may be a good book for you.

Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough
This is generally considered the ultimate resource for riding anything on 2 wheels. Many consider it a "must have." It is still in print and now comes with a free CD of bonus info.
Howard

Re: Books

New postby Howard » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:59 am

Spotted in France

Wanting something fun to read that also has a scooter in it? Check out "Spotted in France." An american France, adopts a Dalmatian and then the two of them go on the road on a classic vespa, which is picked out the JP, the dog. I really enjoyed this. It has scooters, food and getting places by "the road less travelled." What's not to like?

http://www.amazon.com/Spotted-France-Do ... 1592281478

Howard
Howard

Re: Books

New postby Howard » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:13 am

The Ghost of Scootertrash Past – Memories & Rants of a Longrider by Mark "Tiger" Edmonds

What an awesome book! I give it 5/5 stars. “Tiger” Edmonds is not only a “longrider” (a motorcyclist who loves riding very long distances) he is a professor of English at a small college in Florida. He is also a poet and a philosopher of sorts. (He reminds me of a biker version of Baxter Black.)

Scootertrash is his second book and it is a random collection of Edmonds' stories from the road. He writes in a unique style. He is profane at times. He has no respect for political correctness, so if you're easily offended, this may not be the book for you. The way he describes the road, the ride and “the passing through” are beautiful.

Here is an excerpt where Tiger is talking to a young lady. They have very different ideas about being on the road:
“She giggled and asked about the sunshine and unfrozen rivers and flowers and birds and butterflies in the air. She asked about alligators and the Southern Cross and the Spanish moss. And she wanted to know about manatees.
But I told her about the heat and the cold, about just getting' old, and about thousand mile days. I tried to tell her about border towns and local citizen's frowns and about how the highway will wear you down out there between the Mohawk Valley and Tampa Bay.”

Here is Tiger talking about tunnels: “Way I figure it, you got to have a lot of gopher in you to be comfortable riding into a hole in the ground. The trouble is that riding a motorcycle is basically an outdoor activity, and tunnels are seriously indoors. It’s one of them things, like easting oysters,that makes you wonder who was the first guy tried it, and what the hell was he thinking?”

He has at least 2 other books and at least one CD of his motorcycle related poetry. I am in the process of adding them all to my collection. I highly recommend Ghost of Scootertrash Past.
Howard

Return to SCOOTER LINKS AND MEDIA